Sunday, October 4, 2009

Travel Day Attempt One and Two

Flights to Japan generally include one takeoff and one landing, not so fast for this trip. The plan was to fly Friday. Everything was going according to the plan, check-in, security, boarding. During takeoff the right engines generator failed. Not really a problem for flying, but as the 777 requires a lot of power during flight the APU would lower the fuel to the point where we wouldn't quite make the journey across the Pacific. So we turned around and landed. As we stepped off the plane they handed a sheet of paper with information about hotel and what number to call to get a new reservation. I called the number and was offered two options. I could fly to DC, then Singapore, then Osaka, and finally Narita; or I could fly the next day. I chose the option with one flight. I also decided to sleep in my own bed.

So Saturday was attempt number two. Before I left I noticed that I could use a shorter line to check in at the airport, so I used that line. Both that and the security line I had no one in front of me. So I was checked in and through security in 5 minutes. Not bad at all. Did all the normal airport stuff and then got on the plane. And it was completely full. Once we got in the air and the generator did not fail, the pilot told us that there would be areas of turbulence during the flight, it was the most turbulence I have ever been in. It was not bad but it was 90% of the time in the air.

Once landed, I headed for Immigration and Customs, and what a line. 4 flights had arrived at around the same time, it took 40 minutes to get through immigration, but I was one of the first off the Seattle plane so I got through customs quickly, my bag was waiting for me. Then it was time to check into the 1730 bus. It was about an hour before we headed out to the parking lot to load. Everybody was loaded and we were about ready to leave when I noticed one of my coworkers running towards the bus. She was returning from vacation in the Grand Canyon. Her boyfriend is someone in a different organization that I work with. So I got a ride to the hotel. I had called my other coworker Dave to tell the hotel I would be a day late, and they had everything lined up. Checked in and got settled. Then I met up with Dave and we headed for some late grub at Pepper Lunch. The e-coli scare has had an effect on the way that they deliver the meat. It now is cooked to the point where it is just about right. At least it is back open.

Got back to the hotel around 2100 and headed for bed. I woke up not at the usual 230-300 (Jet Lag) but by sirens going off. There were sirens, chanting and drums. All very exciting and I have absolutely no clue what was going on, but it has been quiet since then, also no earth quake so maybe it was a celebration.

Pictures
October 3rd


I apologize for the order, it is not chronological, still getting used to having two cameras.

2 comments:

Elyse said...

Glad you made it safely. Have fun with the typhoon. :)

Kristy said...

Fun times.