Sunday, July 25, 2010

Another Hot Sunday - July 25th

I have never slept better in a hotel than I did last night. I am mainly focusing on the insane amount of stress my body went through yesterday. Walking that many miles is tough under normal conditions. When the added bonus of oppressive heat comes in it sets a new standard. The navy uses different temperatures as gauges for the amount of activity one should do. Anything over 92 is suspended activity. From 10 to 6 it was over 92 yesterday, so lesson learned the hard way.

As a result I decided to scrap the plans for today and take it easy. I only made it 8 miles today. I started out breakfast at Starbucks with a Blueberry and Cream Scone. I then walked over to the JR station and caught the first train to Kita-Kamakura. This is one stop past Kamakura and it has several Temples right outside the station. I checked out Engaku-Ji which is one of Five main Rinzai Zen temples in Kamakura. The grounds were very well kept. At times you can continue walking up to the top of the hill, but service was being held so all the monks were occupied. After I finished I started to head for Jochi-Ji, but waived off after realizing that it would not be a good thing to keep hiking around trails when the temperature is over 88. I decided to ride the train into Yokohama.

I spent more time exploring the Minato Mirai area. I was in search of a Mont Bell close to the station. After exploring for a while I found it. The shop did not open until 1030 so I decided to walk over to a park that I had not seen yet. Rinko park grounds were decently kept, but the fountain area was shut down. I headed back and got fitted for a pack and picked up trekking poles. Imagine skiing poles, except for hiking. I headed back to Yokosuka by taking the JR from Sakuragicho to Yokohama and switching to the KeiKu line. I was heading the right direction.

Once back I decided to take a nap that turned into another night of sleep. I had been hearing about an Indian restaurant called Delicious since I have been back. I decided tonight was the night to check it out. I had the garlic nan and spinach mutton. It was larger portion sizes than Nirvana, but I prefer the nan and curry. The one thing decidedly in Delicious's favor is that it is on the street level. No matter what Americans will not expect to look up or down to find an eating establishment. It takes some time for calibration.

Sunday July 25th

2 comments:

Mom said...

Beautiful pictures. You certainly are covering a lot of ground. I really like the picture of the wooden structure that shows the joints(for lack of a better word)and the carving on the beam. Very beautiful. Do you have any idea how long ago it was built? Have fun.

Unknown said...

Glad you got your pack, I think you'll be glad you got the poles too. Amazing how much more stability you get.