Sunday, July 13, 2008

Weekend 12-13

Sorry for the delay but I figured I would do two days in one post.

Saturday,

After getting breakfast at the hotel myself and a coworker headed up to Tokyo. As often happens on these trips, we got a little lost. The train came in on a different platform than I was used to, after getting outside the station I realized that we needed to head back in and get on the next train. The same line that goes up to Tokyo turns into a subway car.

After getting to Asakusa Bunko station we walked around the area for a little bit. As Japan doesn't wake up until around 10 am, nothing was opened. But we did manage to find a Starbucks, so I got my daily jolt.

A note on the temperature, it was in the 70's, but the humidity was very high. So it felt very hot. And there was not a cloud in the sky, so it was a big frying pan.

Asakusa is a very old district of Tokyo, it used to be the entertainment district a very long time ago. Now it is a very large shopping district. The malls were very long. After grabbing lunch, we headed to the temple.

It was very large and had a Pagota on the grounds. I looked over at a couple of statues and saw a westerner sitting right next to it and doing the posses. Myself and the other guy decided at the same time we should follow the guy for a little while. Inconsiderate tourists didn't do much more, but it was funny.

After checking out the temple a while more, we decided to head towards the "River Bus" tour. You pass under 13 bridges on this tour. We sat on the top deck and we got cooked under the sun. The tour guide was saying things and everybody on the boat was looking to the left or to the right, except us. No worries it was a nice ride.

The original plan was to walk up towards the subway and catch that back to Shinagawa and then take the train back to Yokosuka. But I realized that the closer station would take us where we needed to be. And at that point I was all for reducing the amount of walking happening.

After getting back to Yokosuka we stopped and got some meat on a stick. It was good.

For dinner I went to subway, but I started feeling very sick. So I checked in to Hotel Naval Hospital Yokosuka.

Sunday,

After getting released this morning I swung through the Exchange to get some groceries for the week. I stayed inside to avoid the huge protest which happened today.

For dinner I met up with a couple of coworkers and we went to a pizza place on base. I underestimated the size of the pizza, I have more than enough for lunch tomorrow.

Pictures

By Special Request


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I need that t-shirt.